During the process of commercial organic fertilizer production, there is a crucial equipment that plays a significant role in organic wastes fermentation stage – compost turner machine. Whirlston would introduce some basic knowledge about compost turner, including its functions, types and how to choose suitable one.
Functions of Compost Turner
Compost turner has become the core equipment of dynamic aerobic composting in virtue of the important effects on compost and fermentation.
- Mixing function in tempering of raw materials: in composting, it is necessary to add some minor ingredients in order to adjust the carbon nitrogen ratio, pH value and water content of raw materials. Main raw materials and minor ingredients that are put together according to certain proportion could be mixed uniformly by professional compost turner for better tempering.
- Adjusting the temperature of raw material piles: during the working process, compost turner can make raw materials fully contracts and mixture with air, which can adjust the temperature of piles conveniently. Air helps aerobic microorganisms to produce fermentation heat actively, pile temperature rising. Meanwhile, if piles temperature is high, turning piles can bring the supply of fresh air, which can lower the temperature. And various beneficial microorganisms grow and breed in the adaptive temperature range.
- Improving the permeability of ingredient piles: composting system can also crush the stick and ropy raw materials into small mass, making piles fluffy, stretchy, and with appropriate porosity, which has been an important standard to measure the performance of compost turner.
- Adjusting the moisture of raw material piles: The water content of raw materials for fermentation should be controlled within 55%. In the fermentation process, biochemical reaction would generate new water while the consumption of microorganism to raw materials also cause water dissociate due to losing carrier. And using composting machine to turn piles could emit vapour compulsorily.
- Realizing the special requirement of composting process: For instance, compost turn could realize the requirements of crushing raw materials or mensurable shifting.
Types of Compost Turner
Compost turner could provide the operator more control and more comfort, produce a desired effect from the turning action, accommodate large or different sizes of windrows, travel and transport more easily. Here are common types of compost turner from Whirlston who makes it easier to capitalize on composting market opportunities by offering equipment that helps process organic waste quickly and efficiently, accelerating organic fertilizer production process.
- Hydraulic windrow compost turner: This series of compost turner produced by Whirlston also has three types, including crawler type full hydraulic compost turner, crawler type hydraulic auxiliary compost turner and wheel type hydraulic auxiliary compost turner, specially designed compost turning machines can do the turning job faster, more effectively and with added utility. With the characteristics of compact design, simple operation and saving work place, this composting machine could be conveniently used in various fields of different raw materials, such as livestock manure, domestic sludge, food waste, agricultural organic waste and so on.
- Groove type compost turner: It adopts the chain drive and rolling support plate structure, with small turning resistance, energy saving and suitable for deep groove composting operation. Besides, its crushing ability is strong and the material pile has a good effect of oxygen filling. Its horizontal and vertical displacement can realize the turning operation at any position in the groove, which is flexible. But it also has limitation that it can only work with fermentation tank, so choosing this one needs to build the matched fermentation tank.
- Self propelled compost turner: Driven by four wheels, this compost turner is specially designed equipment for windrow composting and fermentation technology to produce organic fertilizer. It has strong adaptability for site(not only suitable for outdoor open area, but also for workshop and greenhouse), safe and reliable performance, and convenient maintenance. According to the principle of aerobic fermentation, this machine provides enough space for zymogeneous bacteria to play its role.
Tips for Choosing Compost Turner
Whether you’re just entering the market, or are experienced with composting and looking to grow your operation, questions always arise as to what type of compost turner would best fit your needs and bottom line. The choices would narrow substantially after considering the factors, conditions and objectives of the composting operation.
- When purchasing a compost turner, evaluate the equipment with regard to the safety of the operator, other site workers and bystanders. As a minimum, make sure the equipment has the CE mark.
- The throughput of a particular compost turner is determined by its working travel speed and the size of the windrow that it can handle. Larger and more powerful machines generally have greater throughput rates because they process larger raw material piles, so readers could choose it according to the required material piles turning throughput.
- Also consider the aisle space required by the compost turner. Self-driven compost turners need less aisle space than towed models.
- Cost and budget, of course, also affect the choice of composting equipment. The machine with larger throughout and capacity would have higher prices, so choose one suitable for your requirement and budget.
In brief, compost turner accelerates composting in several ways. It mixes the composting mass, breaks apart particles, disturbs pockets of irregular materials and disperses moisture, nutrients and organisms. At every turn, you can reply on our composting machine.